THE first image of the suicide bomber behind the Manchester terror attack, which killed 22 and injured at least 119 during an Ariana Grande concert, has emerged after he was identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi.
Abedi’s identity was revealed after teams of armed police swooped on his address in Fallowfield, Manchester, The Sun reports.
The front page of the UK newspaper has his face next to the attack’s youngest victim to date, Saffie Roussos, who was eight-years-old.
Investigators combed through material at his home, and forensic officer at the scene was seen holding a “know your chemicals” booklet.
Manchester Police chief constable Ian Hopkins identified Abedi but said “he has not been formally named by the coroner so I wouldn’t want to say any more.”
Manchester terrorist Salman Abedi, 22, ‘chanted in street’ days before massacre https://t.co/5Y1DYmEDxP pic.twitter.com/5lj6XzFgh3
— Jewhadi™ (@JewhadiTM) May 23, 2017
Eyewitnesses told how bomb disposal officers were seen entering his house before a controlled explosion took place.
MI5 agents and anti-terror police are now racing against the clock to uncover Abedi’s links to any possible terror cell.
Sources said their aim would be to establish if Abedi himself had built the deadly device — or if a bomb-making mastermind was behind the blast.
Abedi was reportedly born in December 1995 in Manchester.
He is believed to be of Libyan origin and has at least three siblings.
Alan Kinsey, 52, who lives across the street from the raided house, filmed at least 20 heavily armed police in helmets and armor march down the street, surround the house and blast down the door before entering.
He said he didn’t see anyone but police leave the house.
He said a man in his 20s, whose name he didn’t know, lived there. In the past there had been other residents but for the last six months or more he had just seen the man.
Article excerpt [news.com.au]