A young 24 year old woman recently choked to death while attempting to see how many Jaffa Cakes she could fit in her mouth at one time. The young woman, Bethan Gaskin, was reportedly attempting a party trick, but then she blacked out and stopped breathing after some of the cakes got lodged in her windpipe. The loss of oxygen resulted in a heart attack, according to the medical examiner.
The incident caused extensive brain damage, and Gaskin was unresponsive until she died in the hospital five days later.
Bethan’s mother Michele is telling other people to not try things like this at home.
“I remember raising my eyebrows when Bethan started the game, thinking ‘how old are you?’ and telling her to spit them out. She was like a little hamster with her cheeks bulging. She danced off to the toilet to get rid of them and it was only a while later we realized she had been gone a long time,” Michele explained.
Michele says that Bethan was gone in the bathroom for an unusually long time. When the family went to check on her, they found that she was unresponsive. Michele said she knew right away that her daughter wasn’t coming back.
“In my heart I knew we had lost her before they put her into the ambulance. Too much time was passing. She looked perfect and so beautiful. It was just like she was sleeping. So many people have said they play a similar game with marshmallows. Even my 90-year-old aunt said she does it with Maltesers.This just shows how fragile we are,” Michele said.
Bethan was the mother of a three-year-old child.
“I just told her that Mummy was very sick and the doctors couldn’t make her better so she has died and we can’t see her again. We talk about Bethan with Lili and she has asked a few times when we are going to mummy’s,” Michele said.
“We just tell her that Mummy is an angel in heaven now. Her life was just beginning to look up after a tough time,” her brother Joe said.
Michele said that Bethan’s family was extremely important to her, especially her daughter and her brother.
“Lili was her life and she wanted her to experience everything she had done. Joseph worshipped his sister when they were younger and now him and Lili are very close. Bethan was only 5ft 2 and Joseph is 6ft but she always put him in his place and now Lili does too. We were blessed to have her as long as we did,” Michele said.
According to Staford Mercury, “Bethan was adopted at six months old. She lived in Stamford until she was four and attended Happy Days Nursery. Her parents then received a phone call out of the blue to say Bethan’s biological mother had given birth to a boy and they were asked to adopt him too. The family then moved to Bourne and Bethan attended Bourne Westfield Primary School, Robert Manning School and went on to study media make-up at New College Stamford. She had just moved into her own flat in Brooke Close and was working as a carer at The Cedars but wanted to pursue a career in the beauty industry.”
Readers outside of the UK may not be familiar with what a Jaffa Cake is.
“Jaffa Cakes are biscuit-sized cakes introduced by McVitie and Price in the UK in 1927 and named after Jaffa oranges. The most common form of Jaffa cakes are circular, 2 1⁄8 inches (54 mm) in diameter and have three layers: a Genoise sponge base, a layer of orange flavoured jam and a coating of chocolate. Jaffa cakes are also available as bars or in small packs, and in larger and smaller sizes. The original Jaffa Cakes come in packs of 12, 24, 36, or 48,” according to Wikipedia.
This stunt is sadly a sign of the times. Young people are now attempting senseless and dangerous stunts to get a little bit of attention. This case is a little bit different from those that we have seen recently because it does not involve an online challenge but was only intended to impress a small room full of people.
Photo Credit: Facebook / Extra